Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Miss Little Manners


I have to brag on my daughter for a second. Joe and I had a parent teacher conference the other day and as you expect from a preschool, she got raving reviews. Does preschool teacher ever say anything negative about your child? anyhow, she interrupted the meeting and said, "I have to say before I forget that when my daughter gets older (she is now like 5 months old), I want her to be just like Makayla when it comes to manners. Makayla is has the best manners I have seen in a child. Everytime she asks for something, it's always 'please' and then 'thank you'. It must be something you are doing at home, can you tell me what you do?" She was just gushing about Mak's manners.


Joe and I looked at each other dumbfounded and started laughing. That kind of gave away the opportunity to publish a book titled "how to raise a well-mannerd child". we were both like "we try to teach her to say thank you just like any other parents but we don't do anything special...." she looked disappointed that i didn't have a list of "how-to's" for her but i wasn't quick witted enough to come up with something.


I have to admit, i was very proud of her but knew that it wasn't any of our doing - since she is plenty rude at our home. but i was truly thankful. ever since i took a parenting class at COS, i realized that kids these days are becoming ruder and more spoiled. i remember thinking, "if i can even get my kids to have some manners, teach them to greet people well, they'll be like a beacon of light in midst of darkness!" so on with my little mission to teach my kids to have manners that should have been common courtesy 20 years ago! and i bet when ethan starts school next year, this teacher will NOT ask what we're doing right in our house :) God makes each child truly unique and God bless them all!

makaya in her school play

5 comments:

a bebe-shaped friend said...

aww :) that's awesome! glad to see that things are going well over there!

: fish said...

you know, the oldest daughter's are all like that, beacons in a dark world :). but she is a sweetie, can't wait to see her!

Sojourner said...

do me a favor and play around with your flog blog. when i don't get a notification i end up missing 3 posts! mak is sweet, and i'm also wondering if it's a boy/girl thing... dude, the emergency saga is painful, esp. in a foreign land. i'm glad ethan is ok. also the tour of krakow seems fun! is america the only country with lawsuits and whatnots?? i guess other countries just accept different risks and take it?

Ellen said...

i finally got to catch up w/ f/b and some blogs. i'm so lazy....

anyway, are you still planning to visit san fran? just wondering...it would be so nice. let me know.

ewhee said...

awww, what a sweet little girl!

when are you coming into town?