Monday, August 13, 2007

care package numero uno!! i mean, jeden.

i jumped for joy when joe came home today. i always jump for joy when joe comes home but today, my jump was higher than usual. why? you ask. it's because i got my first care package from my bestest friends!!!! thank you ~ i love you! look at all the goodies i received. magazines, displine book, candles and swiffers!


look at these beauties.


i'm in love with my swiffer.

but i was completely guilt ridden because i will be returning to the states in a week. why? you ask. i'm getting sworn in as U.S. citizen, baby!! oh yeah, i gotta tell you guys how nervous i was about taking the citizenship test. did you know that there was three branches of government? just kidding, i knew that! but there were many many things i didn't know. like who said "give me liberty, give me death" - i mean, do you have to really know that to be a citizen? anyhow, i did pass the test with flying colors, 10/10 baby!!

but the tricky part came later..... the guy who was interviewing me looked over my paper and said "it says here that you want to change your legal name to [my korean name] Jeremy [joe's last name]- it's like you're trying to convince someone that you're a man." (note: i'm not writing my legal name to protect myself :P) he continues, "looking at your korean name, i can't tell if you are a female or a male and then i look at your middle name and now i know that you're a man!" I went on to tell him that how everyone knows me by Jeremy and it has to be included in my legal name, blah, blah, blah. so he goes, "I have an idea, how about including a woman's name in your middle name?" At that time, i felt like i couldn't say no - or i would be denied my citizenship. So, on the spot, we began to brainstorm women's name to be part of my LEGAL name!! He goes, "how about Jennifer, I don't know any men named Jennifer..." He was super helpful but i was panicking. I then decide that i could be an "MJ" - so we go with M names - he lists, "Martha, Mary, Matilda" - no, no, nope. we then move to "AJ". . . believe me, this is not how i pictured myself picking out a name. sooooooo, drum roll please, my new legal name after my swearing in is.....

[my korean name] ANNA JEREMY [joe's last name]!!!!!
has a pretty ring to it, doesn't it? My interviewer was so satisfied with the name, he went on to say "You'll thank me later." It was so awkward because i had to sign couple of papers right after with this full name and boy, to give up the signature you had with you since college, that was difficult. anyhoo, call me AJ, Anna, Anna J, AnnaJer, whatever suits your fancy!

See you soon,
Anna Jeremy
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

: fish said...

well aj. your so lucky to have friends to send you things like that. seriously, really lucky. you should do something really special to thank them. :)
~ from your pix poland doesn't look that bad, you guys get to eat beef stew and potato pancakes?
~ can't believe you'll be back next week...weird.

Danielle said...

Ahhh, reminds me of days when I got mail addressed to "Mr. Seung ___" before I legally changed my name to Danielle. But I still get plenty of mail addressed to "Mr. Daniel ___." Maybe I should have gone with Daisy. :P See you soon, AJ.

jamie said...

I think I like MJ better, Matilda Jeremiski, what a great name!

jamie said...

I think I like MJ better, Matilda Jeremiski, what a great name!

gnusharas said...

LOL! i can't believe that you choice another name for yourself on the spot like that!