Monday, November 5, 2007

culture shock

so i alluded previously that i've been kind of depressed lately. well, i've now decided that it's culture shock - which came as a total surprise to me. i thought that since i had a very realistic picture of what my life would be like and i'm quite adaptable, i wouldn't go through it - oh well, i'm going through it. i've been feeling quite blue and down - unmotivated and not wanting to go out and stuff. . . .

this past week has been particularly bad, i've been extremely fatigued and started to have constant headache. it didn't help that mak didn't have school and stayed home the whole week as well. the crazy and sad thing is that i think mak is going through culture shock as well. she's been extremely weepy and whiny this past week. and she would constantly talk about her friends back home. she would say things like :

"do you remember when we went on an egghunt with ellie and mr. billy? and mr. billy was so silly?"

"remember when you came to my school for a mother's day and i sang you 'happy mother's day to you?"

"i want to see halmi - when can we go to america?"

and she would refuse to talk about her friends at school. it's quite interesting. i guess mak and i are both extroverts and she misses all the interactions. (though i think she's getting enough here, i guess it's different...) she likes her friends at school but half of them speak french and don't speak english well. and some are russian and swedish. it's truly international :) i was totally annoyed at her whining and weepiness but after understanding that she might be feeling things which she can't express, i felt so bad for her. and the fact i'm kind of going through the same thing, poor girl :( please pray for us.

ethan and joe on the other hand are doing just fine. maybe ethan is introverted just like joe - NOT!!! anyhow, to get away from the mundaneness of things here, joe is taking me to london for a day! whoo-hoo! i'll get me some decent chinese food and krispy kreme!! it's almost sad that my depression seems to be intricately tied with food. . . .

another thing, i saw a doctor b/c of my headache, hoping they'll give me something better than motrin. well, i walked away with a prescription of ketonel (ketoprofen) - i went to joe's work to check on the internet what it was (since dr.'s english was limited) - then joe's polish co-worker was like "i can't believe the dr. prescribed that - that thing is sooooo strong!" apparently, she takes it (prob. for menstral cramps) but only when she's about to die. she said that it just knocks her out and she was told not to take it regularly since it can cause somekind of internal bleeding. yikes. i didn't fill the script. well, sarah sung, i hope you're reading this and can give me an insight into whether i should take it or not. i just have a chronice headache and muscle fatigue.

ahhhhh, adventure in no english land.

5 comments:

: fish said...

yea, like mother, like daughter. maybe she can do the camera-phone with ellie and other people? even for josiah the school, the kids, the teacher...they make such a difference in how they enjoy their life. josiah dearly misses heritage...will pray for you guys. at least try and help her home life be a good place for her and for you...we're here for you, so escape back here when u need to!

gnusharas said...

i'll pray for you guys, esp for you and mak.
i think your friend over-reacted a bit with the ketoprofen. its very similar to ibuprofen. it is stronger...but you needed something stronger than ibuprofen, right? i wouldn't take it on a regular basis, only when you feel the headaches come on, and take it with some food.
"internal bleeding" is a side effect for all meds like ibuprofen, naproxen, ketoprofen, etc. of course, make sure you keep an eye out for bleeding, bruising easily, but its not too likely it'd occur. like i said b4, ketoprofen is similar to ibuprofen with similar side effects. (i assume you aren't breastfeeding, right? it could get in breast milk)
what dose are you taking? i looked it up and for headaches it says 25-75mg every 6-8 hours as needed. if you take the med 10days straight and still have headaches, i'd see the MD again.

Jane K. said...

Gosh, I didn't realize you were having that bad of a struggle. Reading your blogs and looking at your exceptional art (btw I LOVE my namesake!), I figured, "Gosh! She's really handling it all so well!" But yeah, I realize it must be SO hard. And I agree with you that good food (and easy access to it) is very closely tied to my emotional state. Oh Jer! I'm so sorry you're going through this. I will definitely lift up prayers for you and Mak. I hope you had a great time in London. Drink a pint (or two!) for me. Love you!!!!

Sojourner said...

O, Jeremy, I'm glad you were realistic, can you imagine how bad it would be if you didn't prepare yourself? When I first came to the states all I thought was what I wanted to eat when I went to Japan for a visit (well, I did miss my family and friends too...). Food is a huge part you know. Praying for you guys. Mak. will be fine, thakfully kids are so resilient, I'm more concerned about you. Just occasionally watch Korean dramas on mysoju.com (don't be like me, I was almost like an addict thanks to sooj).

Danielle said...

Jer, I am so sorry you and Mak are having a hard time. I remember my FOB days and how I felt... I will pray for you guys. Hang in there!